Monday, December 21, 2009

Snow? What snow?

Supposedly there was a "snow storm" on its way here last Friday.
For a second there I thought I would have to run to the store and buy milk and bread.
Oh the horror stories I heard of storms past in NC...
"Did you know that NC has no plows??"
"Last time we had a storm like this, we were stranded for 3 days"
"...There was no food at the grocery store except for dog food!"

Are you people kidding me?

The hype for this storm was incredible. The kids were let out of school early, businesses were shutting down, meals on wheels canceled deliveries to the poor old folks... ALL BEFORE ANYTHING HAD EVEN HIT THE GROUND!!

The weirdest part was that the main roads were treated a whole 2 days before anything was even to come... I wonder if that was effective at all when the 1/10 of an inch finally did fall.

It did get VERY COLD, don't get me wrong. I felt unprepared for my kids without the typical boots and snow pants & gloves. I guess I was naive thinking I would never need them here.

And so, after all was said and done. It did snow, for a whole 10 minutes. Beautiful, big fluffy flakes kind of snow.
Then it sleeted, and then it changed to plain ol' rain.

Needless to say the kids were highly disappointed!

Me, I'm not complaining really. I hate winter, and the "magic" of snow only last about 5 minutes for me.
Never fear little ones,
we'll get our snow fix soon enough.
And probably there will be another "inconvenient" storm to come.Click on Pic to see it bigger.


2 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh this post was so funny. It made me giggle...crazy people down there. You should visit Utah and go sledding in the mountains with us...We'd love it.

scrapgoddess said...

So true! If you are used to snow then it is no big deal ... if you are not then even a small snowfall becomes dramatic! Even if you are used to snow ... some places get more than their share. I lived in WV for a while and one year (maybe 3rd grade?) we only had school like a total of 4 days in the whole month of February because of all the snow and bitter cold. Crazy.